We’re excited to introduce you to the upcoming features in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central 2021 release wave 1, which will be available in April. For 2021 release wave 1, Business Central investments center on helping customers to get to productive usage faster, whether they are new or existing customers, by providing in-app improvements to help them get started. You can read the full documentation here.
With Business Central 2021 release wave 1, Microsoft delivers features for some of the most requested areas for improvement, such as banking, payments, and continued improvements to performance. It is simple and easy to add an unlimited number of dimensions, which are used throughout the application. However, until now it has been difficult to correct errors if a user specified the wrong dimension. With this release wave, you can correct dimensions for general ledger (G/L) entries to make sure your financial reporting gives you the insights you want without having to make notes of temporary data entry mistakes.
- Assisted setup helps move the task of adjusting item costs to the background
- Automatic creation of lot and serial number information cards
- Bank reconciliation improvements
- Changes in synchronization between contact and customer
- Define lot sizes for various stages of production
- Dimension corrections (for G/L entries)
- More control over settings for default dimensions
- Payment reconciliation journal improvements
- Simplified bank statement file import
Modern Development Tools
With the move entirely to Visual Studio Code, Microsoft continues to invest in areas that enhance productivity for developers. Microsoft also makes large investments
to improve the upgrade process, including validation of per-tenant extensions, reducing unnecessary upgrade failures, and alerting app publishers about extensions that will be impacted by a future upgrade sooner for a more seamless upgrade experience.
- Partners can add keys (indexes) to base tables and table extension tables
- Extension validation on upgrade
- Report extensibility
- Interface – obsolete support
- Return record link instead of name when using lookups
Business Central offers an extensive portfolio of clients that empowers users to achieve more at their desks, at home, or on the go. The new release wave 1 brings improvements to performance, usability, and printing.
- Report API allows passing the layout needed for report execution
- Reports run in the background
- Client performance improvements
- Usability enhancements for the Business Central web client
- Enable cloud printing on mobile app (phone and tablet) and from Microsoft
- Users can change the assigned printer before printing a report
Better with Microsoft 365
By adding support for collaborating on Business Central data in the Microsoft Teams app, Microsoft is bringing the best tool for collaboration together with the best tool for managing business processes.
On top of that, new support for Universal Print means users can print directly from the Business Central clients.
- Look up Business Central contacts from within Microsoft Teams
- Enablement of Word merge in Business Central
- Support cloud printing using Microsoft Universal Print
With the 2021 release wave 1, customers can get to productive usage faster.
- Getting started checklists for guided and faster initial setup
Microsoft Power Platform
With Business Central 2021 release wave 1, integration with Microsoft Dataverse and Microsoft Power Platform improves.
- Virtual tables for Microsoft Dataverse
- Synchronize item availability from Business Central to Dynamics 365 Sales
- Enable Power BI connector to work with Business Central APIs, instead of with web services only
Dynamics 365 Business Central 2021 release wave 1 delivers a set of features designed to simplify and improve the way partners administer tenants, and the way administrators manage licensing and permissions. The release wave brings improvements to the administration center and to permissions management.
- Improve the reliability of the database export operation for larger databases with more companies
- Improvements for the Delegated Administrators
Reassign an environment from one Azure Active Directory organization to another (through Microsoft Support)
You can download the Dynamics 365 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan PDF here. Also, check out our recent post on the ERP Software Blog announcing the Business Central plan.
For more information about the latest release, contact the Business Central experts at TrinSoft.