Source: Power BI 2021 Release Wave 2 Overview Guide
Power BI 2021 Release Wave 2 is coming in October, and we’d like to share what’s new and planned with you.
Power BI Pro
In order to build a data culture, everyone needs to be able to discover and collaborate on insights. Whether that is authors creating reports using the free Power BI Desktop tool, consumers exploring data in the Power BI service or mobile applications, or users in Office using data to make better decisions, Power BI will continue to evolve to make it easier than ever to work with data. To help organizations foster that data culture, Microsoft is investing in the following:
- Instantly familiar experiences and AI infused insights: Power BI will continue to advance our creator experiences, making it easier than ever to create beautiful and engaging content for the entire organization. This includes new report authoring tools such as sparklines for table and matrix visuals, artifact level access for managing Power BI apps, and continued improvements to the datasets hub.
- Amazing consumer experiences: Consumer experiences will continue to evolve, both in the Power BI service and the Power BI mobile applications. This includes improvements to Excel export from table and matrix visuals and easy creation from Dataverse and Dynamics.
- BI woven into the fabric of the organization: Power BI integration in Microsoft Teams will continue to evolve, deepening the integration in channels, chats, and notifications within Teams.
Power BI Premium
With each release, Microsoft Power BI Premium continues to deliver features that help organizations accelerate the delivery of insights at scale, meeting the most demanding needs of an enterprise. The 2021 release wave 2 investments will span the following areas:
- Microsoft-owned resource management: You won’t have to worry about workload spikes and capacity utilization that can impact the speed of work.
- Auto-scale and pay-as-you-go pricing: Ability to scale beyond resource capacity without experiencing drops in performance.
- Advanced self-service data prep: Seamlessly ingest, prepare, and refresh data and reuse the data prep building blocks across Microsoft Power Platform and Azure.
- Interactive experiences over big data: Build reports on massive volumes of data in big data sources, such as Azure Synapse Analytics. Your reports are automatically made highly performant, and the full solution can be monitored end-to-end with ease.
- Operational reporting and distribution: Author and distribute pixel perfect operational reports to millions of users.
- Advanced security: As data becomes more accessible, preventing risk of data leaking is critical. Secure and protect your data with Microsoft Information Protection labels. Discover and govern your data assets via Azure Purview.
Power BI Embedded
Power BI Embedded enables developers to offer world-class analytics without developing it themselves. Developers can quickly and easily provide customer-facing reports, dashboards, and analytics in their own applications by using and branding Power BI as their own. Power BI Embedded reduces developer resource needs by automating the monitoring, management, and deployment of analytics, while maintaining full control of the application, of Power BI features, and intelligent analytics.
Get the most out of Power BI
Stay up to date on latest product updates.
Know important release milestones.
Improve your understanding of how to license Power BI.
Find documentation for Power BI.
Engage with Power BI experts and peers in the community.